2.17.2007

SUDDENLY NOTHING HAPPENED

I was recently told that I need to update my blog more often because (and I quote) "it's my main source of entertainment". Now, while it would be tough to convince me that this is actually any one's main source of entertainment (and if it is I would be happy to compile of list of more interesting things to do), this certainly puts pressure on me that I didn't feel before. This is welcomed pressure but pressure nonetheless, and perhaps it would not have made such an impact on me if I could get the sentence to stop invading my thoughts like a persistent pop-up ad.

The truth of the matter is, there are some days when I just don't feel like I have something interesting (or entirely appropriate) enough to put out there in the cyber world. And as much as I like to make people laugh, I fear I might disappoint some of you by revealing the fact that many of the things I have to say are really not funny at all. But as much as I talk up a blue streak when I get home from work every day, using my blog as my sounding board may be the best way for me to get it all out (and perhaps a welcome change for my roommate from time to time).

Anyhow, I'll tell you what's on my mind this fine winter morning; I feel like my life is in an excruciating hold pattern. I wake up and do the same thing day in and day out, knowing that somewhere down the road my life will change drastically, propelled forward so fast that I'll have to beware of whiplash. It's gonna happen soon, soon, oh so very soon...

I know that my Gemini longings will eventually be fulfilled by starting over again (and again, and again) and my Aquarius moon sign's impatience will be appeased by this realization, but this holding pattern is simply bringing me down folks. I don't feel challenged, I don't feel inspired and I don't have complete control over the situation -- I don't feel comfortable in this life I'm living right now, and it's driving me to distraction.

I know I'm not the only person who has ever felt this way. For example, Colin Hay must have felt this way at some point because he wrote an anthem to the very dilemma. If you haven't heard the song I've included the lyrics below for your reading pleasure. My friends, wanna know what I'm up to these days? I'm...

"Waiting For My Real Life To Begin"
by Colin Hay

Any minute now, my ship is coming in
I'll keep checking the horizon
I'll stand on the bow, feel the waves come crashing
Come crashing down, down, down, on me

And you say, be still my love
Open up your heart
Let the light shine in
But don't you understand I already have a plan
I'm waiting for my real life to begin

When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
But in my dreams, I slew the dragon
And down this beaten path, and up this cobbled lane
I'm walking in my old footsteps, once again
And you say, just be here now
Forget about the past, your mask is wearing thin
Let me throw one more dice
I know that I can win
I'm waiting for my real life to begin

Any minute now, my ship is coming in
I'll keep checking the horizon
And I'll check my machine, there's sure to be that call
It's gonna happen soon, soon, soon
It's just that times are lean

And you say, be still my love
Open up your heart, let the light shine in
Don't you understand I already have a plan
I'm waiting for my real life to begin

No comments: