6.30.2006

What are you doing to solve the climate crisis?

A close friend of mine met Laurie David, one of the producers of "An Incovenient Truth", at a party recently and told me a great little story. When she told Ms. David that she has seen the movie, instead of asking what she had thought of it, Ms. David asked her what changes the movie had inspired her to make.

Ever since she told me this story, I find myself asking, "What changes have I made in my own life?"

I have a Nalgene bottle. Why don't I use it all the time? Why don't I walk to the grocery store that's less than a mile from my house? Why don't I bring my own resusable bags when shopping? Why do I leave paper in my trash can at work when we have a recycling bin? Do I really need to drive all the way to Great Falls to exercise? Why don't I automatically turn off the lights when I'm leaving a room? Why don't I turn off the water while I'm brushing my teeth?

I think the answers are simple, and believe they are the core reasons why most Americans don't do as much as they can:

  • Awareness - people are simply not aware of the impact just one person can have
  • Habit - we are used to doing things a certain way
  • Education - we have trouble understanding exactly how we can instigate change
  • Politics - many people in positions of power do not consider this an immediate issue

Did you know that while the United States makes up only about 5% of the world's population, we pump out over 25% of global greenhouse gas emmissions every year? My fellow Americans, this is cause for concern.

I propose that in keeping with our nation's history of always wanting to be the first and the best and the most advanced (and in most cases accomplishing exactly that), let's reduce those greenhouse gas emmissions, let's reduce our waste, let's reduce our dependancy on energy and fuel, and let's do it one person at a time!

We have the potential to make major and immediate change by revaluating our own personal habits. We have the power to make simple things like recycling and reduction of energy use not only a priority, but the law. And we each have the voice to educate those around us and make each other aware that this is not a political issue, this is a global issue.

We have a responsibilty to make change. This is an opportunity for the United States to go from being the most wasteful nation, to the most ecologically friendly. Let's take on that challenge and prove those doubting Thomas' wrong!

As I step down off this (recycled) soapbox of mine, I would like to tell you what I am now doing to change things.


First, I am fortunate enough to live in Montgomery County, Maryland, where business recylcing has recently become a law and they are enforcing it. As the self-appointed Recycling Manager of my office, I have really started to lay it on thick at work.

  • All bins have been labelled as to exactly what can and cannot be put in them.
  • I have engaged in conversation with each co-worker about the issue, making them aware that not only are we required to recycle but that I am watching each and every one of them (guilt is an amazing force when it comes to these things).
  • I have posted flyers that the SORRT (Smart Organizations Reduce and Recycle Tons) program sends out, including the "There's Always Time for Recycling - Recycling Checklist".
  • I also make sure that all recyclables from my trash can and the others' in my department have been put in the appropriate receptical at the end of the day.

Becuase I have met with some resistance (apparently some people think that recylcing is not only stupid, but that it's a waste of time and it's hard to do), I am weaning them into this. There are more office change to come, but it will take some time.

In my own personal life I have tried to become more aware of my actions.

  • Junk mail always goes in the recycling now (why didn't I do that before?)
  • I only use warm water to wash towels and underwear, all the rest get cold water (it's better for the life of the clothes anyhow)
  • I turn off lights in all rooms that we are not in
  • On my outdoors exercise days during the week, I stay in the neighborhood to conserve gas. I save my destination hiking days for the weekends!
  • I use my Nalgene bottle any time I need to take water with me

I know that these things are only the tip of the iceberg (ha ha ha), but I also know that each one is a step in the right direction. I don't even feel inconvenienced by these things. I thought I would be sad not to go to Great Falls four times a week, but I just look forward to going on the weekends that much more.

Well, in parting, I ask you all to consider how easy it is make change. After all, it doesn't hurt to reduce, reuse and recycle, but it's sure going to hurt us if we don't.

No comments: